It always seems to sneak up on me for some reason!
We were looking forward to a nice, quiet Christmas at home this year, just the 4 of us. After all, our December has been very busy up until now and we were ready for some stay-at-home time. It kinda didn't work out that way but I shouldn't complain.
Here's why:
We planned to have a dinner with my Papa and his girlfriend, who he is visiting in Dallas for the holidays. Mom, Sarah and Abbey were coming to meet at our house since it is a good in-the-middle spot. Until.. I got a call from Mom on Sunday night saying that Papa had fallen and was in the hospital with a broken hip. OH NO!! I just start tearing up because a broken hip in a 84 year old is NOT good.
The dinner was off of course, but my mom was on her way to visit him in the hospital and be with him after the surgery. So.. We felt that on Christmas we really should make the drive to Dallas and see him and I'm glad we did. He was not in a good mood though... just very down about all that had happened. Not to mention he was a long way from home and having to stay for who knows how long in big D. It was that day we were there that he moved to a rehab center, where he'd stay for a couple weeks until he could transfer back to big H.
Then, after we left from seeing him X-Mas afternoon, we were on our way to Charlie's sister's for dinner. His parents were there too, so it was nice to get to see them on Christmas(on our off year). The boys always have a blast visiting their cousins! Too bad we don't do it more often.
So.. Our quiet X-Mas at home turned into a very busy day, traveling more than I had hoped to, home very late and completely worn out, BUT it was one to remember!
We did have a nice morning together. Will woke up at 6:00 and checked out what Santa had left before coming to get us up. It was another hour or so before E woke up and joined us. I had made a b'fast casserole and cinnamon rolls we savored on while watching them enjoy their new goodies.
I want to start a family tradition every year at Christmas but I don't know how to do that when we're only home every other year. I thought about just making the same breakfast every X-Mas morning but that seems kinda boring.
Oh..We thought we would make going out to dinner on X-Mas Eve a family tradition every year, but after this year's not-so-relaxing dinner out, I don't think we'll be doing that for a while. We're just not at the point where we can go to dinner and enjoy a nice night out yet(with kids). As much as I don't want my boys to grow up, that is one thing I DO look forward to.
I welcome any other fun "tradition" ideas!
No comments:
Post a Comment